Sir John Keegan, who has died aged 78, achieved an international reputation as a military historian, then discovered a talent for writing rapid analyses of international crises as the defence editor of The Daily Telegraph.
He had been on the teaching staff of the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, for 25 years in 1986 when Max Hastings announced his recruitment to the paper the day he took over the editor’s chair. Keegan proved an unrivalled asset as the Soviet empire crumbled and collapsed, the government demanded a “peace dividend” in the form of cutbacks to the Armed Forces and a series of military actions flared up in the Middle East and the Balkans.
Whatever the subject before him, Keegan wrote with close knowledge of the military arts and a personal acquaintance with many senior serving officers who had been his pupils; above all, he demonstrated a deep awareness of the human aspects of warfare, which was cruel, confusing and frightening, if occasionally glorious.
It was always with surprise that new acquaintances discovered that Keegan was no battle-hardened veteran. He was a gentle civilian who was deeply imbued with his Roman Catholic faith and had been crippled with tuberculosis since childhood. While an unabashed supporter of the British alliance with the United States, he described himself as “95 per cent pacifist” and looked forward – though with increasing doubts in recent years — to a world which had abandoned war.
- libraryphantomg5 reblogged this from myimaginarybrooklyn
- libraryphantomg5 likes this
- lovelycatstark reblogged this from myimaginarybrooklyn
- jenniferbray likes this
- artificialisland likes this
- cormallen reblogged this from willigula
- willigula reblogged this from victusinveritas
- hyperbolia reblogged this from victusinveritas
- victusinveritas reblogged this from myimaginarybrooklyn and added:
- victusinveritas likes this
- readthisnotthat reblogged this from myimaginarybrooklyn and added:
- randomness-from-thisoldguy reblogged this from myimaginarybrooklyn and added:
- myimaginarybrooklyn posted this